Thursday 2 April 2009

Australian Grasses

As a bit of a break from all that heavy black and white work here is something a little different. One of the experiences that has most influenced my art practice was the time spent on a mango farm in Broome, Western Australia. I would get up in good time and go drawing in the orchards when it was quiet, spending the rest of the day picking, eating and boxing mangoes. This culminated in getting the terrible mango rash, that left me stricken with itchy welts. Grasses below is one of the pictures that I made from memory of sitting out in the blazing sun.

Grasses (above) from my time spent on an Australian mango farm.

7 comments:

GlorV1 said...

You have done some travels from what I've read. Not only have you travelled, but you've kept those memories stored. You've also managed to unleash those memories vividly on canvas or paper. Great work Luke and the colors are beautiful. I'm actually getting ready to paint my studio mango/brightred. Pretty colorful. Thx for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow!!! What a feast for the eyes! What medium did you use for this? Oil Pastels again?

Animated Magic said...

Hi Sheila, this one was ink and acrylics.

Manon said...

Beautiful!! I just love the colors!

L.Holm said...

Amazing, Luke! You have quite a few adventures stored away. This FEELS like being out in an orchard under the hot sun. glorious energy and color! What size is this piece? Liz

Unknown said...

hi Luke...

we love it ...

BRIGHT & WILD....

mona & the girls
ps...
what are you looking at in your pic? & we all agree you're a cutie!

Annie said...

What a great blog whit great works. I love it! Greetings from Belgium!